Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Medication Costs

Rising healthcare costs are a problem people are facing everywhere, especially for medications. Now many people shop online for some prescribed needed medication and receive it from India, Canada, etc. If you're not sure you should check for cheaper prices outside of the U.S. because you've heard horror stories about people receiving the wrong medication or fake medication, you should check out pharmacychecker.com. It is completely legitimate and only features real pharmacies and products. You just enter in the name of your medication and it will give you a list of online pharmacies offering what you're looking for as well as the prices for each site. You can also check out pharmacyreviewer.com to double check the online pharmacy in question.

Another option I strongly suggest and utilize myself for medications that are not available online and are ridiculously expensive is to go to the actual pharmaceutical company's website and look for coupons.  For example, I have ADD and take Vyvanse a new product that I can't buy online yet need to take daily (believe me I need this). I'm lucky enough to have an individual health plan paid for by my employer but before I meet my $250 prescription drug deductible Vyvanse is $149 a month. Yet last month I was able to find a coupon on Shire's website which offered a free month's supply. I printed it, took it to CVS and voila! free drugs for me.  This month I checked again and while there isn't another free month's supply, there is a $50 coupon! 


Now I'm set for this month. However, in 2 months I am going back to school and do not have a healthcare plan or a job. So when looking on Shire's website I also noticed they have an assistance program for this particular drug for people making less than $25,000 a year.  Since I'll be in school and working part time I plan to apply in order to continue being able to take my important medication and not have to struggle to pay for it.

So go ahead, surf the web and check the pharmaceutical company who created the drug first to see what they offer. I think the reason Shire has all the coupons for this particular drug is because there isn't a generic version for this drug yet, they want people to take it (since it lasts for 14 hours) and they're aware it's pricey. If not check out pharmacychecker.com and pharmacyreviewer.com and see if you can get your drugs outsourced! 

No comments:

Post a Comment